I like checking as many things off my list as early as possible so I can sit back and relax during the busy Christmas season.
This year, I’m whipping up a batch of festive Amaryllis jars for friends and family. Since they can take 6 or more weeks to bloom, it’s important to plant them early.
Best part – all you need is a jar, stones and water to grow these beauties.
I found these fun “fresh homemade cookie” jars with lids at HomeGoods and once the flower fades, the jar can be used for so many things.
How to Plant Amaryllis in Jars
contains affiliate links
1) put stones or pebbles in jar about 3-4 inches deep
2) add Amaryllis bulb, roots down, then add more stones around the bulb to secure it
3) add water to jar (I used this cookie jar), making sure not to get it on the bulb, until the water is about 1 inch below the bulb (if the bulb sits in water, it will rot)
4) Place in a sunny spot and add more water as needed – rotate the jar often so the flowers don’t lean towards the sun
5) wrap bakers twine or ribbon around the rim and add a gift tag if giving as a gift
Watch the the roots grow around the stones and the bulb begin to sprout then bloom in around 4-8 weeks.
The perfect gift that keeps on giving. Once the bloom fades, the jar can be used for storing more than cookies.
Cross that off my list …
only 8,649 more to go!